What’s he doing? What’s he doing? Ayyeee!! Ahh!! It’s my childhood dream.
I never got a chance when I was a kid. Pursuing Bie’s childhood dream Please take care of us. I want to learn. Com’on. Give it a try, Aek. You be the head. I’ll be the tail. Okay! Hello, everyone. I’m Bie the Ska. Now we’re heading to a place where
I’ll fulfill my childhood dream! I’ve been making childhood reminiscence videos lately. When I was a kid, I don’t know if it’s just me,
I was impressed by lion dance. Lion dance I wanted to be part of the lion dance
so bad when I was young. You know why? ‘Cause that’s extra money. And I want to know how to manipulate it. You’ve seen it right? They’ll climb up
a pole and ้hang upside down. That one maybe too hard. But the lion dance. To manipulate the head or just to carry the lion is cool enough. Let’s do it this way, I might be shy if I go there alone. So I’d better prank Aek Phanu. I use this chance to prank
Aek Phanu by tricking him into coming. Previously Uh, hello Hello Aek What’s up, Bie? Are you free tomorrow? 1 PM. Mmm… I… I don’t know. Mmm… Tomorrow 1 PM? I don’t think I’m free. You’re free! You are. What’s your plan? Krachom temple in Taling Chan Wh- wh- what are we gonna do there? I… I have… something for you. A red… red enve… It’s now during holiday. Oh! Bie, I just asked Tubtim.
Turns out I’m free tomorrow. Alright? Alright? I have a surprise for you.
I really have a surprise for you. You’re gonna like this one. Tomorrow at what time? 1 PM That’s right. It’s almost Chinese New Year. Okay, okay, bro. I’ll be there tomorrow 1 PM. Okay… Okay, thanks so much. And he said he’s not free at first. Busy guy I have a company now. Aek doesn’t like being tired. He dislikes exercise. I prank him so he gets to practice,
to do things like this, to work out I know that his weakness is… he’s greedy! This guy is greedy. I told him I’ll give him a red envelope
then I now have a company. Whoa!! We’ve arrived! Here, here here! They’re all waiting. Look at the kids. I wanna know how it’s like so bad. Let’s check it out. My dream～ What’s the name of your band? – Singharaja
– Singharaja, oh… Today, I’m here to learn. I wanna learn. Sure, anything you wanna know. Anything at all! This guy can perform the dance? Huh? What’s your position, boy? Well, human pyramid Wow～! He’s probably the base, right? The topmost Today I have an appointment with a guy. I’ll wait for him first. Please tell us about everything. How’s your practice? And if I wanna learn to do the
lion dance, what do I have to do? First of, the lion head Manipulate the head. And the drums I wanna do the drums too!! I wanna do the drums too!! That’s so cool. But I could only beat the buckets at home. Let’s check it out now. What’s your name? My name is Aff. Aff. Are you my senior or junior? Aff, how old are you? 23 23, you’re my junior. Aff, alright. This is the lion’s head. Ah, the lion’s head How much does it weight? 2-3 KG. Oh, not so heavy Dragon’s heads are heavy. That one right there. Oh…!! A dragon’s head… a dragon’s head is heavier. How do we know which occasion to use which dance? If it’s a grand event, dragon. For smaller events or limited spaces, lion. For a person to perfect the lion dance and perform professionally, how long does one has to be trained? To manipulate heads, 10 days should be enough. First of, you need to like it. ‘Cause you have to train, to exercise everyday. If you don’t really love it, you might feel discouraged. Tired and quit, something like that. Many are like that. Hey, Huh? … Hello You called me today… to give me a red envelope, right? A red envelope, right? What envelope? Like these. I bring a lot! There’s no envelope! Come here, come look at the dragon!! Today, I want you to see the process of the lion dance, the dragon dance and also drumming. This is my dream, Aek. //Tricked// It’s my childhood dream ’cause when
I was young, I didn’t have a chance. And… what about red envelopes? – Hmm?
– There’s none? … What red envelope?
I haven’t mentioned it. Bie, I’ll go back to the office then to finish my work. Don’t go! – Boo! Bie!
– You’re here now. I don’t want to! Come here. Learn together. Have you said hello? Hello He’s ready to learn and watch
how you do the lion dance. When did I say that?? I didn’t say that. Look, it requires 2 people to perform. I can’t do it alone. No, can we just watch them do it? Let’s just watch. Yeah, we watch them first. They teach us. Then we will… do it. – Do it too?
– Yeah – It’s your dream?
– It’s my dream. I’ll do it for you. That’s cool, Aek. Do I get extra bonus this year? So? Yep Hell yeah!!! Bring it on!! I’ll take it into my consideration. Okay… okay. You’re so fast. Should we start now? Wanna know how to make it blink. Yeah! To blink How to open the mouth and how to receive money. Oh, pull it. – So just pull this one?
– Yeah And to open the mouth? Pull this one. May I lift it? Is it heavy? Just right Not that heavy If it’s heavy, your arms will be tired. Bie’s become a lion!! Here’s a red envelope. Take it. What about the other hand? Put your arm here and push. – Oh, this one?
– Yeah – Oh, like this?
– Yeah It’s blinking, Bie. Gimme money You have to snap it. Move the mouth. Oh! The hand Gimme a red envelope. Okay Okay How’s that? You dream come true yet? It has. So good If I were a kid whom people didn’t recognized, being in Nong Bua Lamphu, no band would let me try that. You can’t just walk in and ask to try… Do we have to pay respect to the masters? Yeah, do we? – Yes
– Oh… But Bie just… Right… Okay… okay, okay Can you teach us the basics? Let’s see. Bie’s really all in for this.
Here’s the dragon. There’s the pole. Oh ho! Don’t be distracted! Okay Then I’ll… Oh, to the left. *wink* Oh! Right *wink* Then walk. One… Wow, he walks like a lion. When you walk to the left, look left. Walk to the right, look right. Aek, Go, Aek. – You need to exercise…
– I’m fooled. Red envelopes… Empty envelopes! That’s for you to put the money in. Hey, your costume is on point. He’s come ready. This dude really needs to work out. He weighs a lot. Alright! Go! To the left. Bend the knees. Bend the knees. Now walk left. Aek – Mind the step.
-They don’t walk like that. Walk left? Left Just one step. Aek, when you go left Oh! Okay Okay okay Bend the knees too This is so exhausting. Wait, you haven’t done anything. Bend your knees as well. Game is laughing. This dragon can’t walk. Lion!! Yeah, this one’s a lion. It’s so hard to manipulate. Let’s get your moves right. Let’s learn the moves. Let him teach you first. There, follow him. Then… One step Back leg tiptoe. How come it’s not the same walk? So you’ll be like this. One hand on the rope. Pull Repeat on this side. So it looks natural. – Go smoothly
– Okay I got it. Aek, you do it. It’s a piece of cake, Aek. It’s a piece of cake, Aek. If you can’t do this, then don’t wish you can dance like EXO. – That doesn’t look legit?
– Not at all. You’ll be a crippled EXO. It’s exhausting. Like I’m being killed. This is just the walking.
Not the dancing. Ow! Ow!! Something snaps on you? Aek… The lion’s eating me! Put your arm through here. Oh, right. I forgot. Aek, Imma tell you something. Once you have this skill, Ouch! Once you have this skill, you can work as a performer and ask for red envelopes. – A millionaire’s project.
– Yeah, it can be a millionaire’s project. That’s true… A millionaire’s project, Aek. Alright, left! Okay – You’ve passed the line.
– Turn back. It’s like he’s scared of stepping on something. Bie, you wanna try? Try it. Oh, man. It’s heavy and
you have to balance yourself too. He’s just like me. Bie, you didn’t blink all the way. Really? Oh! Oh!! My bum This lion has a problem with its own bum. – Told you it’s hard.
– That’s right… Oh! That’s quite good. I have a question, are these
lions on sale or made-to-order? Well, we made them for sale too. How much does a lion like this one cost? One lion is around… 13,000 baht. Want one, Bie? Maybe we’ll prank Khunpan with it. Khunpan will bark. What about the guy who manipulate the tail?
What does he have to do? He can’t lift his head and something like that. Suppose that… Whoa!! The back is straight… Excuse me, Can I watch the… uncovered version. Uncovered Have to be in this position. – All day long?
– Yes Please show us how to walk. This looks weird without the lion. We must… do the same moves. Both the head and the tail. – If move left leg, then left leg.
– Yes – It’s tough to be the tail.
– Yeah!! I thought it’s most tiresome being the head. But the tail has to… oh… bend. So hard Let’s go back home. This is enough.
We’ve seen it all. Let’s go. Nah, we’ll do this. Come on. We have to nail this. Let us try the walk. Can you play the drums for us? Let’s try this, Aek. You be the head, I’ll be the tail. Do we nail it? Com’on, lion The lion’s bum is popping now. *wink wink* !!??? The tail fell off! I’m strained!! Dizzy The tail couldn’t take it. Get up. – The tail didn’t make it.
– You’ll tear the tail. I didn’t see how the tail looked like. Oh… This consumes so much energy. What’s the longest time you’ve danced? Processions take all day long. All day… but you have shifts, right? Yes Hoooo!! Here’s the thing, Bie, I bent down like this. And blood drained to my head. And it was hot and stuffy. So I got dizzy. Uh huh You have to be very strong. So that’s the lion. Another thing I wanna see. The dragon How much does this one weight? The head is around… 10 KG. Whoa!! – 10 KG…
– You don’t need to go to the gym anymore. Just use this one. How many performers? Around 9 9!! Please show us. I’ll just watch. Just watch!! Ooh!! Encore! Encore! That’s fantastic. It’s my dream to be close to it, to see it. May I go see how much the tail weighs? Aek, come and see. It’s so long. Right? This is my first time being this close to a dragon. – May I lift it up?
– Sure – We can take it.
– Yeah, we can. It’s not too heavy. Not too heavy but still heavy. We can lift it up but it’s still heavy. You need to be strong. Gotta be strong. – Now let’s see the head.
– Let’s see the head. How much does the tail weigh again? Probably not over 3-4 KG. 3 KG, 4 KG, something like that. The head is 10. I’ll give it a try. Ooh!! How’s that?!! It’s heavy. – Let me try.
– Oh, Aek, it’s heavy. Aek, and they have to move up and down. I saw them do it. And bow as well. This one’s heavy. And no fixed moves. How much does one like this cost? Around 85,000 baht. Wow… This one is 20 meters long.
For 30-40 meters, the prices go up. – Oh, so it depends on the length.
– That’s right. This is a big one. I’m feeling exited being here. Here’s my story, when I was a kid I went to watch
a lion and a dragon dance with Mom, I thought I wanted to wear it to see what’s it like inside. Getting to try it on today kinda unlocked my dream. Yeah It’s really heavy.At first I thought
the performers just do it,. And I swear, I really fainted. It’s hot and you have to bow down. So tough Actually being the tail is more difficult. Like, you have to stay like this all the time. Face down all the time. Really dizzy They have the drums. Wanna try some? You know how to? Hmm? No, we’ll let them teach us. Oh! Okay okay Please teach us how to drum. ♪ rat-a-tat rat-a-tat ♪ That’s your lesson. Aek is still confused. They usually use their memory. … It’s not the same. Not the same. I can’t do the drum roll. … …. ….. …… Aek, your turn. You’re advanced, man! Here comes some noodles～ Bom bom～ Aw… you can’t do it at all. I can’t remember. He beat so fast. How to hum this beat? ♪ rat-a-tat rat-a-tat ♪ We’ll stick with that first. Lemme try. ♪ rat-a-tat rat-a-tat ♪ There’s an extra beat. Failed Extra beat – Thought it’s easy.
– It’s hard. It requires practice. Everything needs practice. – It’s impossible in one day.
– Yes We have a show. Aek will… No!! We’re the audience!! We’ll let Aek go up there. No! We just watch. We won’t go up!! Just watch… just watch. This video is for Chinese New Year, right? Is it Chinese New Year? This video is for CNY. What about a red envelope? Maybe some 100,000 baht? … What’s a red envelope? …?!! That’s it. Boo! Teh! A red envelope is an envelope that’s red. – When we…
– What about a monetary gift? It’s not the same? Eh? Yeah… Confused. You’re all confused. What’s the different between
a red envelope and a monetary gift. Yeah… Please comment to tell us if you know the answer… [Paolo – The owner of The Show Bangkok]
What’s the origin of the lion dance? In the past, it’s a tale. An emperor dreamt that a monster paid him a visit. And it’s like… he couldn’t figure out how to
explain to his court that a monster came by. So he had a craftsman build a model of that monster. That’s according to one source. According to another, China didn’t have any lion. But Chinese people traveled the world to trade. They came to another continent
where there were exotic animals. Notice how some lions have mane, like real lions do. Mmm hmm But Chinese people from
different regions have different ideas. This one is a Cantonese lion. There are 2 types of Cantonese lions. One from Foshan and one from Huoshan. Simply called Foshan and Huoshan. It’s a sub-district of Guangzhou. These 2 sub-districts compete with each other. What’s the difference that
distinguishes between these two? – The lips aren’t the same.
– The lips Yeah, this one has a duck bill. Thai people call it duck-bill lion. This one, Thai people call it giant-faced lion. Oh… let me see close up. The lip is curved. Oh!! See if the lip is curved or not. Here, this one’s a duck-bill. That one too. – Duck bill
– Oh… just look at the mouth. Did you misunderstand like me
that all lions were the same? When he told us, I just noticed. What about dragon? Are they various as well? For dragons, Thai people have seen
only the Nakhon Sawan design. But we use this model. While in other countries, they use
the fabric ones, which is lighter. Those ones sway like ribbons. They don’t use this model because
this is what we invented ourselves. It’s the leather dragon. – That’s the dragon foreigners use?
– Yes Could you please show us? Bie… this is eye-opening. Actually if you go to my storehouse in Phichit, you’ll see more than this. I have like 200-300 of them. Ooh!! The most in Thailand. Whoa～!! I have a collection of lions. Oh! You collect them. These are the regular lion heads. Fancy heads will be made of knitted fur. They’re more delicate and
adorned with tassels. Gorgeous. All over its head. Sometimes malls held events about lions and dragons and they hire us to give info about the dances. Those events where people learn stuff. This is the dragon we use for rehearsals. This is how dragons from abroad look like. Please show us. This one is light. Watch it. Oh… that’s right. Oh, it’s easier to rotate the head. Right That one can do the same, but it’s more difficult. Yes That one is for something extra:
pole wrapping, water spraying, and fire spitting. This one is like the dragon’s playing on clouds, dancing in the air. We learn so many things. That’s because Aek Phanu is here. You said you wanted to go
home when there’s no red envelope. We’ll wait to see their show. Alright Look at them dancing. Whoa! 3 tiers!! – Look!
– 3 tiers! They must be really strong to lift others up. They’re forming the pyramid!
The kid!! The kid’s up there!! What are they doing? Hang upside down. Whoa!! My heart sank. Wow… today we’re fulfilled getting to watch the show. I feel… I get to watch it up close! Never been this close. And it’s so thrilling and… so much fun. I’m still stunned by the last show. I believe that the performers must have
gone through countless of rehearsals. A lot Still, there are mistakes. It requires consistency. The fewer time they practice,
the higher chance of failing. The more they practice, the lower chance they’ll fail. Please leave your band’s contact in case
someone might wanna hire you. Contact us, The Show Bangkok, Tel. 081-281-8881 We sell and rent equipment. We also perform. One-stop service All the Chinese arts. Everything about Chinese shows. If you wanna host a Chinese event and
don’t know where to turn to, call him. Bie, how’re you? Your dream has come true yet? It’s fulfilled. Fantastic This is nice. I feel young again
to watch something like this. We rarely get to see shows like this. It’s worthwhile. It’s worthwhile, Teh! To be here! – Okay, thank you very much.
– Thank you So that’s my childhood dream. Aek Phanu, it has come true now. You could have said you’d gonna
take me to watch lion dance. I was afraid you wouldn’t come. Of course I’d come for you!! Just say it and I’m there!! Actually I want him to exercise more.
He hasn’t exercised much today. I was fainting… Go dance with them. Please, no. I wanted to until
I saw them hopping on those poles. Such far leaps My lips would be wounded. Alright. If you like this video, please subscribe. Aek Phanu and I must excuse ourselves now. Bye bye～ *muah*